- So far, the process is working out well. I hit the Great Swampy Middle and then kind of just blew past it.
- I've hit my primary goal every day. Right now, I have tomorrow's goal done and have already done 700 words this morning. I had one day where I only got 800 words, but I was ahead enough that day that it didn't matter. I have a first goal, based on 1700 words per day, and then three bonus goals. That was the only day I didn't hit at least one bonus goal.
- I never got to the point where I hate the story. I don't know if this is a function of having an outline and knowing where it's going before I start, so I'm not flailing around trying to figure out what's next. Or it could be the fact that I'm writing so fast that I don't have time to hate it. But the fact remains that I like this thing rather a lot and always have.
- I said when I outlined this that I could probably get a novel out of it. I still think that maybe I could. But I've managed to keep the focus tight enough that I think it'll end up at a 20,000-word first draft. Not the 17,000 I was hoping for, but I might be able to excise enough in edits that it slips under that 17K mark.
- Getting up early and banging out words when no one else is up is a definite plus.
So far, this project is a rousing success. That being said, I've been working on one story the entire time. We'll see what happens when I start the next one.
I still haven't decided if I'm going to just finish this one after it blows past 17K or not. I guess it depends if I'm wresting words out of the ether or if they're freely flowing. Right now, they're freely flowing.
I may give you a snippet later today. Thanks for coming on the ride with me.