I just hit 25,000 words on this project. I'm only twelve days in. So far, the project is an unqualified success.
- My Actual Goal is based on 1700 words per day, which will give me 52,700 words at the end of this project if I hit it every time. Right now, I've blown past Monday's goal and am well on my way to Tuesday's. I decided on 1700 words per day because it's a nice round number that won't make me fall short. So far so good on that one; I've hit it every time.
- My Technical Goal is based on 1613 words per day, which will give me 50,003 words on the 31st if I hit it every time. So far so good on that one as well, obviously.
- Bonus #1 is based on previous day's wordcount + 1700. This is to keep me on task and get me used to writing that many words a day whether I "need" to or not. I've missed that one three times.
- Bonus #2 is 500 more than that. I've missed that one four times.
- Bonus #3 is 300 more than Bonus #2. I've missed that one five times. If I hit all three Bonus Goals, that's 2500 words on the day.
- My Ideal Goal is based on 2500 words a day. I haven't hit that one since Day 3 and probably won't at this point unless one of these things starts writing itself.
- I had one writing jag where I wrote 3600 words in one day. This was a function of wanting an END at the bottom of the Angry Bitter Angel story before a meeting with my Writing Buddy. It could happen again, but I'm not going to count on it.
- I'm so glad I have outlines. If I start flailing, I go back to it and go "Oh! That's what's supposed to happen next!" I am now sold on the concept of outlining. It may front-load the time spent, but it saves so much time in the long run. This is the second story I've written this way, and I'm at the Great Swampy Middle again but don't hate it. That's twice.
So, here I am at mid-wordcount, and I like this. I like this a lot.
Of course, whether I still like it when I'm trying to edit four badly-written stories into some semblance of "good" will be an open question.
And all that being said, I do not see how people with jobs and families bang out this many words in a day. Holy cow.